The Punishment for Insomnia

Christmas was not the best this year. My husband spent the better part of the day with a debilitating stomachache and I spent it paying for my insomnia.

I had to stay up all night to be able to make it for present opening Christmas morning at my aunt and uncle's house, and by 9 a.m. I had a serious case of the shakes. I couldn't hold my hands steady, and my husband's stomachache was getting really bad, so we headed home a little before 10:00.

I had to drive home because all he could do was sit in the passenger seat and moan. About 3/4 of the way home I realized I was in trouble. We were only a little over five minutes away from home, so I held on because once I got out of the car I was going to be done.

We got home and brought our things into the house, I closed the door and locked it, hung up my keys, and collapsed on the floor, my whole body shaking severely.

I couldn't move for almost an hour. And when I say I couldn't move, I mean I couldn't move. I couldn't so much as lift a finger or flex a toe, or even raise my eyebrows. It was seriously scary, and my husband couldn't get me to bed. He had to call my aunt and uncle and have them come up and help get me into bed. Within a few more hours I was able to move around a very little. But I couldn't even sit on the toilet without assistance.

Mid-afternoon I fell asleep, and slept a full 24 hours.



I can get around on my own now, but am still exhausted to a level I didn't know was possible. I don't know how I've made it this long without worse things happening to me. It's something to be grateful for.

I have a sleep study scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. If I have sleep apnea and all I need is a cpap machine to be able to sleep regularly and well, I will be enormously grateful and consider myself very lucky.

Here's to hoping.
Photo Credit: "Binturong Bearcat Sleeping" by Vichaya Kiatying-Angsulee 

Comments

Popular Posts