Review of Beneath the Opal Arc (Immortal Jewels #1) by Lee Colgin

Beneath the Opal Arc is the first book in the series Immortal Jewels.

Lawrence watches as a witch casts a powerful spell and is then injured. He carries the man to safety and ensures treatment.

Remy is astonished to be saved by a vampire. Wouldn't he just be a meal? But Lawrence protects and cares for his charge.

No one knows how long the spell will hold, and Remy must escape the front lines before his people hunt him down and punish him for treason. Lawrence guides him through enemy territory to safety with his kind.

As sparks fly between the two, they must discover if they can lean on each other and find comfort together or if Lawrence's reservations will keep them apart forever.


I loved this book! I read it in a single day.

As with the other books by Lee Colgin I've read, Mongrel and Changeling, this is self-published. I purchased my copy on Amazon.

Lawrence to me was quite the hunk, and I couldn't blame Remy for melting over him. He was protective and took charge of their safety, but he also respected Remy's choices for the most part. The fact that he kept Remy at a distance for such a silly reason made me want to shake him, but I could understand where he was coming from. I probably would have felt the same. Despite that, I knew they'd be good together, and felt for Remy's heartache.

Remy was a treasure. A sweet, innocent man, but quite formidable at the same time. His immediate adoration of Lawrence was completely understandable, and I would have felt the same way. His heartache at Lawrence keeping him at a distance made me want to hug him. When they finally came together I wanted to cheer.

The plot of their flight through enemy territory was suspenseful and at times very tense, and even when they were nearly at their destination and free of that threat, Remy was still in danger from other witches hunting him down. The level of suspense was fantastic, and it held consistently throughout the novel with some exciting ups and downs. The climax was thrilling.

I found the prose to be very smooth and easy to read, and the dialog fantastic. The descriptions were lovely. I always knew where I was and what was happening.

I loved this book, and I can't wait to read the others in the series!

Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts