Review of Changeling (Outcast Mates #2) by Lee Colgin

Changeling is the second book in the series Outcast Mates.

Dominus is an incubus that runs a brothel called the Twig and Berries. He's grown bored with his life but doesn't know what to do about it. Then Sebastian arrives seeking safety on his journey north through Hungary, and he stirs the kind of interest Dominus hasn't felt in years.

But Sebastian is a changeling, a faerie disguised as a human and exchanged for a human baby. He's only recently learned of his heritage and is travelling north to safe harbor where he can meet others of his kind.

Despite his initial interest, Dominus hates faeries. For good reason. Yet he's still drawn to the charming man.

Will a curse keep them apart, or can Dominus finally find happiness with Sebastian?

This novel is self published, so you won't find it at a library as far as I know. I bought my copy on Amazon.

I'm honestly not sure if I like this book better than Mongrel or not. It's one of the few times I've thought a sequel was equally as wonderful as the first book, though these two couples are very different. This is an enemies-to-lovers and forced-proximity romance, and it is about an incubus who runs a brothel, so sexytimes are included.

Dominus was a character that was at once straightforward and complex, at least for me. He was easy to read, but his journey to admitting his feelings for Sebastian was fraught with difficulty. The description of him was remarkable, and Sebastian's reaction to Dominus at first meeting was both cute and funny. He's not portrayed as a feminine gay character, but it's implied in the way he dresses and adorns himself with jewels. I liked that about the way Lee Colgin wrote the character. It isn't something that defines him, only an aspect.

The way Dominus held his anger against faeries was understandable to me, even if it wasn't to Sebastian, who doesn't know anything about faeries, but I remained frustrated that he wasn't giving Sebastian a chance—until Sebastian began to worm his way under Dominus's skin, which was both funny and adorable.

For me, Sebastian was the heart and soul of the book. A sweet and kind man who had love for everyone around him. His relationship with Dominus's housekeeper/cook was beautiful even though they couldn't speak each other's language. In fact, she was one of my favorite characters in the book.

Sebastian's sweetness and kindness made the plot carry more weight because I adored him so much and wanted everything to work out for him. I loved the way he effortlessly overcame Dominus's resistance, and when Dominus finally realizes how much Sebastian means to him, I thought, "Well, duh!"

The plot went in directions I didn't expect on the way to the HEA, which is what should happen. When picking up a romance novel, the reader always knows there will be a happy ending, but the couple's path to get there remains a mystery. So many aspects of this novel were unexpected to me, and I couldn't help enjoying every moment of the ride.

If you like MM paranormal romance, give this series a read! I'll certainly be reading more books by Lee Colgin!

Photo Credit Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts