Book Review (Updated) of The Heir (The Selection #4) by Kiera Cass

The Heir is the fourth book in the series The Selection.

When I first read this book, I was both surprised and delighted to find that it was not about America and Maxon, who now hold the throne, but about their daughter, Eadlyn.

For the first time, there will be a Selection, but not for a prince. America and Maxon have convinced Princess Eadlyn to hold her own Selection. She will choose the husband who rules by her side after Maxon's death. But Eadlyn has no intention of choosing a husband in the ridiculous pageant. She decides to make this as painful as possible for the men so they will leave on their own.

She takes an instant dislike for most of them but pairs up with a couple of the would-be princes and grows genuinely fond of them.

It might not be so bad after all.

Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth

I wasn't sure I would like Eadlyn at first, but she grew on me quickly. How she attempted to force the men to withdraw from the competition instead of choosing a husband was hilarious. But her need to placate her subjects became a major part of the competition, and she was forced to make a genuine effort for appearance's sake.

However, she had a deal with her parents, and she would hold them to it. It allowed her to not choose one competitor in the end. I enjoyed watching her resolve begin to melt as she got to know them.

Eadlyn's stubborn determination to make the Selection painful for the men was funny, but funnier was her resolve melting before she even realized it had happened. 

She was funny unintentionally on her part, and her wit and tenacity I could get behind. Her favorites in the crowd I also liked, and I began to look forward to whether she would choose one of them in the end. The fact that she was not the POV character made this more mysterious. With America, she was the POV character in a romance, which meant she would end up with Maxon in the end. It would just be a matter of what would happen in the middle. I loved that uncertainty, and I couldn't wait to see who she would choose on my first time through the book.

This time, I knew who the ultimate choice was, and I read the book intending to pick up on clues. They were subtle, but they were there.

Still a delightful series, and a delightful main character—just as delightful as America for completely different reasons.

Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts