Review of Wicked In Your Arms (Forgotten Princesses #1) by Sophie Jordan

Wicked In Your Arms is the first book in the series Forgotten Princesses.

Miss Grier Hadley is the illegitimate daughter of an extremely wealthy and unsavory man. In coming into sudden contact with her birth father, she has been given a large dowry and now has the responsibility to marry well. But Grier is independent. She worked as the game warden at a country estate for years! She can take care of herself, thank you very much.

Prince Sevastian Maskimi is hunting for a wife. His country is finally at peace after many years of war, and as next in line for the throne, it is his duty to find an eligible bride, and because the coffers are low, she needs to be rich.

Despite how inappropriate the match is, Sevastian cannot stop thinking about Grier. And despite how infuriating and insulting Sevastian can be, Grier cannot stop desiring him. Grier might be rich, but could she be a queen?

This was my first time reading an erotic historical romance, and it was okay. Not great, not bad, but I enjoyed it. It was not my first Sophie Jordan book, though the others of hers I read were her Firelight series, a young adult paranormal romance trilogy about dragons. This made me want to reread that series again.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed Firelight. I don't know if it's the difference in genre (vastly different) but this is something I normally would enjoy. I felt like the potential in the story was untapped. That there could have been more pulled from Grier and Sevastian in this book. The story was good, and it was interesting. I liked Sevastian and Grier, but it felt like the bones of the story and not the fleshed-out fullness of a complete novel.

Sevastian was at first infuriating and insulting. He began the book by insulting Grier, and it took him a while to get out of where he was. Grier was more likable to me. I liked her spirit and drive, even though it got her into some sticky situations. She was a good main character.

The issue I see with this book, though I did enjoy it, is that it was shooting directly for Pride & Prejudice. It feels like the same story with slightly different characters. But it's lacking the self-reflection and change in viewpoint present in Jane Austen's masterpiece romance. Sophie Jordan tried, she really did, but it didn't reach the heights she was trying to make.

Unfortunately, when an author tries to recreate a masterpiece, unless it's a fresh take or masterfully done, it will always feel a little empty.

Photo Credit: Mike Birdy
Stars Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts