Review of Promise Canyon (Virgin River #11) by Robyn Carr

Promise Canyon is the eleventh book in the series Virgin River.

After spending years on ranches around Los Angeles, Clay Tahoma is happy to be the new veterinary assistant in Virgin River. The beauty of the place tugs at his Navajo roots, and he sees a bright future ahead. He's welcomed and embraced by the town, by everyone but Lilly Yazhi.

Lilly has seen enough of the charms of traditional men from her Native American community, and she wants no part of Clay. But she's fascinated by his ability to communicate with horses, and she finds herself lost in her attraction to him.

Lilly doesn't want a man, and she doesn't need a man. Certainly not Clay.


I enjoyed this book. Lilly was a wonderfully strong and passionate woman that I admired, though she'd hardened herself past what would be normal for what she'd endured. It made me frustrated with her in a good way while rooting for Clay to break through the barrier.

Clay was a more enigmatic character with the strange ability to communicate with horses. I don't believe Robyn Carr necessarily meant it to be a supernatural power, rather more like a horse whisperer. I liked him from the start, and I admired that even though he'd come from a horrible situation with his ex-wife, he hadn't ruled out the possibility of a relationship in the future, something he had to teach Lilly to do.

Watching Clay break through Lilly's defenses was a delight, and I was alternately cheering and wanting to throttle Lilly. It was a fun read, one of the more lighthearted books in the series.

There was a subplot about Hope McCrea and the town's future that was quite interesting, and I expect will have consequences in future books. I'll be interested to see what happens with that.

Overall, a great book in one of my very favorite series.

Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts