Book Review of The Village Baker by Joe Ortiz

The Village Baker is the book I affectionately refer to as my "Bread Bible." I checked this book out at the library in 2009 and tested out a recipe for French bread. I immediately called my mom and informed her that she was getting this book for me for Christmas. I renewed the book as many times as I could (which was a miraculous 5 renewals of 2 weeks each, giving me an amazing 3 months with the book) and spent an additional three months waiting for the book as a gift.

I had been baking bread for several years before finding this book, but as I read it I found I knew next to nothing about baking bread. The author and his wife own a small neighborhood bakery in California. They spend time traveling around Europe to speak to village bakers, and to learn new techniques and recipes.


At the beginning of the book is over 50 pages of tips and techniques. He includes the function of different ingredients, including the pros and cons of additives like milk and sugar; techniques on kneading, stirring (properly stirring the dough can made an okay loaf into an amazing one), and how to properly shape a loaf; history of bread baking; and details on the five different ways to bake bread, straight yeast or one of four types of starters, and how each developed.

There are 60 recipes for regional breads of France, Italy, and Germany, as well as some specialties from bakers in the United States. He includes special notes on each recipe that may include a fun fact, touch of history, a tip or trick, or some other interesting piece of information.

I have lately been exploring the use of different kinds of starters, and he includes enough information that I don't feel lost as I try something new.

This is the best cookbook I have ever read, and I will treasure this book. It has been invaluable and filled many delightful hours with a craft I love so much.

This book gets an enthusiastic:


Photo Credit Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts