Review of Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely #2) by Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange is the second book in the series Wicked Lovely.

Leslie has no idea fairies exist or anything about their courtly power struggles. All she knows is she wants a tattoo. THAT tattoo. She has to have it. It's a tangible symbol of the changes she wants to make in her life.

The tattoo will bind her to Irial, the king of the dark court. The fairies of his court feed on dark feelings and energies, and his court is starving. Leslie and her link to him via the tattoo will act as a conduit and allow him to draw on human emotions to feed his court as long as Leslie survives.

No one knows what's happening except Irial. Not the Summer King or the newly crowned Summer Queen, Leslie's friend Aislinn. Not the fairy who's fallen in love with Leslie and is ready to give up everything for her. And definitely not Leslie.

Not until it's too late.


TRIGGER WARNING: Leslie was raped before the book began and a lot of what she goes through before the tattoo is complete is her trying to deal with what happened.

This book was very dark for young adult work. A little too dark for me. Once Leslie's tattoo was complete, I was tempted to stop reading more than once. I'm glad I finished the book to see what happened to her and Irial, but it was hard. I was even tempted to not write a review.

I didn't like the dark nature of the book, or the hinted-at ways Irial provided feasts for his court after Leslie could act as a conduit. It's just not something I like to read about.

I debated whether or not to continue the series after my intense dislike of this book, but my library doesn't have any of the other books in the series so I can't continue it anyway. That's fine with me.


Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts