Review of Mongrel (Outcast Mates #1) by Lee Colgin

Mongrel is the first book in the series Outcast Mates.

Andras, a werewolf called Mongrel by his pack, is recruited by Bowie, a vampire with a conscience, to investigate a string of missing young girls from local villages.

Andras is grateful to escape his pack, and as they follow the trail of the missing girls, the pull between the two men becomes stronger.

As they make their way across early 17th century Hungary, they discover that the girls are headed toward a fate they had never dreamed of.

Can Andras and Bowie save the girls, or will the most prolific serial killer in history get away with her crimes?

This book is self-published, so you will not find it in libraries. I don't know about bookstores.

The antagonist in this book is a real person. Lee Colgin inserted Andras and Bowie into real historical events in a way I was thrilled to see. I'd heard of this person before, and a hint was dropped in an early chapter, just a mention of the name not connected to much of anything, and I thought to myself, "Dear God, no wonder girls are going missing."

The mystery was solved for me with that first mention of the name, but seeing Andras and Bowie put together the clues and follow the girls' scents to where they had been taken was a treat. And the romance! It made my heart melt.

Bowie as a love interest was wonderful. He had a past, a horrible thing he held himself accountable for. To me, it wasn't his fault, and he had long been forgiven by all involved, but he consistently beat himself up for it. My heart broke when he told Andras his tale. In the present, he was sweet and kind to Andras, only the second person in his life who'd ever been truly kind to him. It was inevitable that Andras would fall in love with him, and it happened fast, but then it was a slow build to when their love finally blossomed into a coupling.

Andras was an incredible character. A werewolf who could not entirely shift to human. He always had wolf ears and a tail, a source of bullying and being outcast from pack society. Only his grandmother's cousin, the woman who raised him, treated him kindly and loved him.

When Andras gets the chance to escape the pack with Bowie to hunt for the missing girls, he takes it. Even if the reprieve is temporary, it's time away, and maybe he can find a solution—somewhere new to live where he'll be welcome. This bit at the beginning of the book broke my heart and endeared me to Andras. I desperately wanted to know if he'd find his happiness.

The relationship between Bowie and Andras was beautiful, and I loved every moment of reading it. I was sad when the book ended because I wanted more of their wonderful relationship.

If you like MM romance, I highly recommend this book.

Photo Credit Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit lovethenerddesigns

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book and thank you for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts