Review of At Grave's End (Night Huntress Universe #3) by Jeaniene Frost

At Grave's End is the third book in both the Night Huntress series and Night Huntress Universe series.

Cat Crawfield, with Bones still at her side, continues to fight the undead. But now her cover is blown, and the undead world knows who the Red Reaper is.

As if that wasn't enough, an old enemy of Bones's is back with a vengeance. They must unite with Bones's grandsire Mencheres to stop a lethal magic from being unleashed.


This book was intense and grew more intense with each turn of the page. So many brushes with death; so many twists and turns. I couldn't devour the book fast enough.

The way the tension built steadily almost went under the radar. I didn't realize how intense the story was becoming until I tore myself away for a trip to the bathroom or drink of water and felt how the tension from the story had leaked into my body. That subtle increase is a difficult art to master, though many try. Jeaniene Frost's use of it is fantastic.

Each book continues to develop the characters and further the world-building. Though much of it may be added on as the books progress, it doesn't feel as though it was. It feels like further exploration of a world that already exists instead of one added onto haphazardly that contradicts itself. I've thoroughly enjoyed my dive into Ms. Frost's undead society.

One of my favorite parts about this series is the contradiction within both Cat and Bones—the tender love they hold for each other and the love and loyalty they give to those nearest them versus the battle-ready badassery that the rest of the world sees. It gives them layers and makes them more complex. They're characters I love to root for.

A newer character in this book that I was drawn to was Vlad Tepesh, the source of the Dracula legend. But don't call him Dracula. He was quite the contradiction as well, and I easily saw in him what Cat did while also understanding what he likes to project outwardly. I was delighted to discover that Vlad has several books of his own within the Night Huntress Universe. I await them eagerly.

A solid addition to the series that I read in two days.

Photo Credit architectphd via freedigitalphotos.net
Stars Image Credit lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts