Book Review (Updated) of The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

The Selection is the first book in the series The Selection.

America Singer lives life in a poor caste and has a secret love affair with Aspen, a young man a caste below her. Life is difficult, but it's what she knows.

Then, a Selection is announced, and she's convinced to enter even though it means turning her back on everything she knows, including Aspen.

Thirty-five girls competing for the hand of one prince—for the crown that America doesn't want. During this, she lives in a palace constantly attacked by rebel forces.

But Prince Maxon is different than she imagined. And America starts to wonder whether it might all be worth it.

This is an updated review from one I did several years ago.

I liked America. She was spunky and fun, yet she was flawed and made mistakes, some of them bigger than others. She took large risks--some of them paid off and some didn't.

Most of all, I liked that she had her boundaries, set them, and stuck by them. And I loved that Maxon respected them.

The hints of the full scope of the state of their country surprised me, and I was interested to read more about them. The setting was fully described enough to give me an idea of where they were, but it wasn't so detailed that it took me out of the narrative. I loved the way Kiera Cass used place names to hint at where things were taking place so readers would know what environment the people were in. For example, the palace exists in a place called Angeles, which one could easily assume is a future version of Los Angeles.

I've never read another dystopian novel like this--kind of like combining Divergent and The Bachelor, which when you say it out loud sounds like a nightmare, but I found it both interesting and fun to read.

Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts