Review of The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

The Selection is the first book in the series The Selection.

America lives in a lower caste of a nation divided by the number labeled on each person. Someone can marry into a higher caste or purchase their way into one, but otherwise the caste number is permanent.

Then America gets a notice in the mail that Prince Maxon is eligible for a bride, which means there will be a Selection and America is eligible to enter. Each of 35 provinces draws one lucky girl from a pool of applicants and sends her to the palace to compete for the ultimate prize: being the bride of Prince Maxon.

America doesn't want to enter. She doesn't want to be a princess. She just wants to marry her boyfriend of the last two years, Aspen, but he's a caste lower than hers and it would never be approved by her parents, so her mother doesn't know that she's giving America an opportunity that means an end to her relationship. Then Aspen breaks it off and a heartbroken America is drawn from the pool and taken to the palace to compete for something she doesn't even want.

Her first meeting with Prince Maxon isn't exactly ideal, and she makes it clear that she's not interested in romance, but she will be his friend. He agrees to keep her around for a while, and through their friendship something more starts to peek through what Aspen left behind.




For the first few chapters, all I could think was that this was a Hunger Games ripoff. The castes are so similar to the districts, and a new nation born out of the ashes of North America. It was so close.

Then we transferred from The Hunger Games into The Bachelor. Oddly enough, that's when it got interesting. I don't like the TV show The Bachelor. I don't like catty women, and I don't like to see women tearing each other down. So, it would make sense that I would hate this book. But I didn't - I loved it.

America flew off the page for me, as did Prince Maxon. The other girls there to compete for his hand were also very vibrant. I could see where Kiera Cass got her inspiration - that's very obvious - but she brought it to life in a new way. The book was a #1 Bestseller, and I can understand why.

When I say the book is a combination of The Hunger Games and The Bachelor, I would expect anyone to roll their eyes and groan. Honestly, if I wasn't manic while I was picking out books at the library, I would never have picked it up. But I'm glad my manic mind thought it sounded good, because it was.



Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts