Book and Movie Review: Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

This is supposed to be one of Nicholas Sparks's most romantic books. I adore Nicholas Sparks, but I didn't like it.

Adrienne flees her life - the husband who's just left her - to tend to an inn along the coast for a friend. She hopes to find some tranquility for the weekend since there is only one guest. Paul, an eminent surgeon, is there to talk to the spouse of one of his patients. He's just sold his home and his medical practice to escape his past.

A storm is forecast for the weekend, and Adrienne and Paul will have to weather it together. Trapped in the inn together, friendship blossoms, leading into feelings that will change them forever.


Sounds super romantic, right? That's what I thought. And for a long time it was great. Well, it's a pretty short book so "long time" is relative. The friendship was solidifying, they were connecting, and I could completely see where it was going.

Then, out of nowhere, with nothing prompting it, they were declaring undying love. I couldn't help thinking, "When did that happen?" It had been nothing but friendship with potential, then sudden declarations of love.

Don't tell me they're in love, show me them falling in love. That's why I'm reading the book in the first place!

This was the first time I was actually disappointed with Nicholas Sparks.





The book was adapted to a movie starring Diane Lane and Richard Gere, released in 2008.




In my opinion, this is one of the rare times a movie was better than the book. The love story between Adrienne and Paul blossomed instead of being a sudden, unbelievable declaration.

Just a warning, though, this is a tearjerker. I haven't cried this much for a movie in many years.



Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth
Stars Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns



Comments

Popular Posts