Book Review (Updated) of The Crown (The Selection #5) by Kiera Cass

The Crown is book five in the series The Selection.

As Eadlyn holds her Selection, she doesn't think she can fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. But as the event progresses, she is thrown more and more into national spotlight. Events happen in the palace and her country that make her realize she doesn't want to go through her life and eventual ruling of her country alone.

The heart desires what it does, and who she falls in love with can't be controlled. Soon, Eadlyn must make the hardest choice of her life.

Photo Credit: Katherine Elizabeth

I adored this book. Characters began to come more into play than I expected, and the pain and heartbreak she endures as life happens the way she doesn't expect actually made me cry. So many minor characters in this novel and The Heir are characters I adored in the books about America and Maxon. I loved seeing them and what happened after The One ended.

Eadlyn's choices about whom to send home seemed to be made on a whim in The Heir and almost to spite her parents. But in this book, she seemed to make the choices more deliberately, and many times with more compassion. There was one in particular when she made it to the Elite that made me cry—this time with the joy her compassion gave him.

As the book progressed, she changed from an impatient, snarky woman into a compassionate, strong leader. The snarkiness remained, but she began to do it in a joking manner—unless someone really pissed her off. Events around her as she tried to focus on the choice of husband before her made her grow up fast.

In the end, especially with the man she chose, I believe she will be a great queen. Her husband will be supportive and strong for her, making her life easier. He will be a safe harbor and eventually a fantastic father. I'll fully admit, I sobbed when she made her final choice.

I found this book to be one of the strongest in the series, second only to The One because of the situation with the rebels and the actions America and Maxon took to solve the issues presented by the two rebel factions. The One was tense in many places, and I loved it. However, The Crown presented a question of who she would finally choose until the very, very end which added more tension than I expected.

Wonderfully written. I would definitely buy these books to be able to read them again and again.

Image Credit: lovethenerddesigns

Comments

Popular Posts